How To Add A Floor Plan
This document details how to add a new floor plan to a property on your site.
You must have RentPress installed, at least one property created, and a property code entered for any properties you have.
Create a New Floor Plan
Once activated, RentPress creates a custom post type in the wp-admin area named ‘Floor Plans.’
Navigate to the post type for “Floor Plans” and click “Add New” to get started. Enter the basic floor plan info in the “Floor Plan Information” area fields at the bottom of the page. Make sure to use unique numbers for “Floor Plan ID” and to enter the same Property Code you used when creating the property into the “Floor Plan Parent Property” field.
An image can be added via the Set Featured Image functionality, or by pasting a link to an image in the Floor Plan Image URL field.
- Floor Plan ID – Only numbers and letters, no punctuation or spaces
- Floor Plan Name – Can be anything you want to show (Letters, Numbers, Punctuation, Spaces are all accepted)
- Bedroom Count – Only whole numbers
- Bathroom Count – Can be whole and half numbers (using decimals, e.g.: 1.5)
- Minimum Square Feet – Enter the smallest square footage applicable to this floor plan
- Maximum Square Feet – Enter the largest square footage applicable to this floor plan (even if it is the same)
- Minimum Rent – Enter the starting price for this floor plan
- Maximum Rent – Enter the highest price for this floor plan
- Availability URL – Enter a link where you want to send shoppers to who are ready to apply
- Floor Plan Parent Property – Enter the property code for the property that houses this floor plan – this will be the exact same as the property code you entered for your property
- Publish your floor plan
- Now, you can Add Units to Your Floor Plan
- The value entered in both “Maximum” fields can be the same as each value entered in their corresponding “Minimum” fields, but they must not be lesser values
- If you have uploaded a floor plan image to your WordPress Media Library, or would like to show an off-site image, the path to that image can be pasted in the Floor plan image URL field
- The Virtual Tour URL field is great for showing either a Matterport 3D Tour or a video embedded from a video site like YouTube. See the Add Floor Plan Tours article for more details.
- Up to a paragraph of text can be entered in the Floor Plan Description field to display instead of the property description. See the Add a Floor Plan Description article for more details.
There are two ways to display images for your floor plans:
- The Floor Plan Image URL: This is useful for displaying images hosted off-site, and is used by the RentPress feed to display floor plan images from supported sources.
- The Featured Image: This is a standard WordPress functionality and can also be used to display floor plan images. Setting an image here will allow your site to provide an image to other sites (eg. social media, search engines) when the floor plan pages are linked. It can also provide a performance increase to your websites since it would be loading images from the same server. For these reasons, we recommend setting a featured image. Note that adding a featured image will override the display of an image from the Image URL field.
For best results, we recommend at least 600x600px and no more than around 1500x1500px. Images will look best as a transparent .png file closely-cropped to the floor plan layout.
Floor Plan Features
The floor plan edit screen offers a Features selector that allows you to highlight what makes this floor plan special. You can use this for any feature you wish. Classic examples include “Den,” “Townhome,” or “Penthouse,” but you are free to add any features that make sense for your property like “Renovated” or “City View” or any feature that may differentiate one floor plan from another.
To mark a floor plan as having a feature, simply click the checkbox next to the feature you want.
To add a new feature, click the + Add New Feature button. A text field will appear for you to type in your feature. Then hit the Return key on your keyboard or click “Add New Feature” below. Your new feature will be automatically added to the floor plan you are editing. When you’re done, make sure to Publish or Update your floor plan. Your new feature will now be available to select on all other floor plans.
Once updated, any features enabled for any floor plan at your property will show up in the sidebar of the floor plans grid. This lets shoppers filter down to find something relevant to them.
Finally, these features can be used in URL parameters on your pages, letting you make a “landing page” experience pre-populated with your chosen features. See the article about Search Page URL Parameters for more information.
Floor Plan Specials
When a property is running a special offer or discount on a specific layout, that offer can be added to each floor plan to advertise the offer. These specials also support links (even offsite) if you want to send shoppers to a page with more detail about the special. Finally, specials can also have an expiration date applied, after which they will automatically remove themselves from view.
In the “Floor Plan Special” infobox, type in the text for the special, and optionally add a link and expiration date.